Achieve Your Goals for Growth
If you are an entrepreneur starting a new venture or a business owner, you need 4 things to grow your company:
1. A Profitable Business Model
- Charge less than the value you provide.
- Discover a sustainable business model. Adapt lean startup and customer development approaches – pivot until you figure out how to solve a pressing problem for hungry customers who will pay for your solution.
- Craft a strategic marketing plan. Create a blueprint for how you will create happy customers who will joyfully pay for your product or service.
2. Purpose – simple and compelling
- Declare Your Purpose. A compelling purpose will attract loyal customers and engaged team members.
- Tell Your Story. People will buy your stuff if they understand why you are selling it. You need to tell your story.
3. Engaged Team Members
You don’t need to build your business alone. It is much more fun with a team. Once people get competitive pay and benefits, what else to they need? If a company is mission-driven, with a clear purpose, then the elements below are critical:
- Healthy culture of trust, innovation and creativity. Where adults are treated like adults – they are empowered to do their work, trusted that they will do their best, and can be a whole human being, not just a corporate “role”. Emotions, intuition, imagination are keys to innovation. Stop making people act like machines.
- Clear roles and responsibilities. People know what they are supposed to do and are not micro-managed. Nobody likes to be managed! Most performance evaluations are subjective and insulting. Ditch them for open communication and accountability for results.
- Flexible work arrangements. Allowing people to work remotely is a no-brainer in the 21st Century. The technology is available and the environment demands it. (Transportation is the largest single source of air pollution in the United States. Most employees would like to work remotely. In the Austin, TX Chamber 2013 Mobility Report, 81% of workers said they are willing to work remotely.) See my Distributed Organization Blueprint to discover what your company needs to go remote.
4. Conscious Leadership – inspire and coach your team
- Soul inspired leadership. Work is an opportunity for people to grow their souls.
- Visible, accessible and self-aware leadership. Show up. Model your values. Live your purpose.
- Leadership as service. Leadership is service not status or power.