Seeing beyond the school building and the adults working within, Instead of Schooling takes a hard look at the process of schooling and how it fills young people with outdated knowledge that reproduces the status quo. The book invites you to co-create a living educational network that evolves human consciousness and unleashes the wisdom and creativity of young people to innovate in an increasingly complex world.
Whether you want your kids to be happier, less stressed, more resilient, creative, experience deeper learning, or get useful life skills, Instead of Schooling is the guidebook.
This inspiring and practical book shows you:
- Why schooling was designed to control children and make them obedient workers. It was never designed for learning or self-discovery.
- How your mind and brain work so that you and your kids can access creativity, resilience, and peace of mind.
- How to design the days and weeks so that your kids love learning and you ditch the homework battles.
- How crafting your own educational path will set your child up for more success and happiness than conventional schooling.
- How to choose the right approach, environment, and resources from a carefully curated selection of education alternatives (online and in-person), resources, and curriculum.
Caprice hated school. Even though schooling came easy to her, school felt like prison. She has dedicated the past 15 years to creating learning spaces and programs that honor the creativity, resilience, and wisdom of children and teens. Caprice has been honored to guide her two daughters on their self-directed learning journeys from birth to adulthood. She has an MBA in finance from Carnegie Mellon University and a BA from the University of Virginia.